Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First Antlers of 2010

I finally got out the other day for a hike by myself. The snow was deeper than in January when I took Melody with me to look at the deer that were wintering. Every step seemed to sink into the snow up to my knees. It felt like wading upstream against a heavy current. I kept thinking the whole time, I hope this pays off with some nice antlers to take home. The snow was still six inches deep on the south facing slopes with a few patches of bare ground. I began my search the same place I did last year and found a nice 5 point. I barely saw it with the snow everywhere. Later on I glassed a bare peice of red ground with my binoculars and saw a familiar brown colored object. Further observing proved it to be an antler. I hurried down the hill and found the other side laying just below it. It ended up being a beautiful evening out with three antlers in the backpack and a good start antler hunting this year.


The big 5 point


The matching 3x4 point set

2 comments:

  1. It must be exciting for you. Mel was telling us about going with you to hunt antlers and how deep the snow was. I'm sure the snowshoes help. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mommy likes your pictures. They're real pretty she says. She said you have to give her that split tine antler.

    ReplyDelete